Iowa Family Caregiver Program
We care for you because you care for others.
DO YOU help your spouse, a relative or a friend who needs assistance with basic activities of daily living?
DO YOU help with rides to the doctor, shopping, meals, bill paying, bathing, grooming, dressing, housekeeping, walking or transferring to a wheelchair, managing medications or arranging services to be provided by others?
ARE YOU a grandparent or older adult relative who is raising a child other than your own?
If Yes, You Are A Family Caregiver
52 million are . . . caring for loved ones, juggling work and family along with caregiving responsibilities. Caregiving can be very demanding and stressful. Caregivers often underestimate the time required for caregiving and the impact on their work and family obligations. It is important to get the help that you need. Milestones Family Caregiver Specialist understands the demands of caregiving and works to help caregivers explore options to lessen the caregiving burden.
Take Time To Care For Yourself
Caregiving can impact your health and well-being.
- Take well-deserved breaks
- Be open to new ideas
- Accept help when it is offered
- Educate yourself about family caregiving options
- Attend a support group with people who are going through some of the same challenges that you are.
You’re Not In This Alone
The Iowa Family Caregiver Program Specialist can help:
- Connect you to information about available services.
- Assist you in gaining access to services.
- Help with problem-solving and decision making.
- Provide information on respite care and supplemental services.
- Linking you to the best resources available when you have questions about home and respite care, housing, nutrition, transportation, prescription drug assistance, legal issues, Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia.
- Refer you to local support groups that can connect you with people who are going through the same things you are.
The Iowa Association of Area Agencies on Aging provides a “Search for Services” database for Iowans aged 60 and over and their family/friends. Search by a specific county and service category 24 hours per day/7 days per week.